Wednesday Jul 20, 2022
#104 - Cruise Outages, Robots for Forestry, BigScience’s BLOOM, EU AI Act
Our 104th episode with a summary and discussion of last week's big AI news!
Note: there was a delay in editing, so this news is from two weeks ago.
If you are a fan, we'd appreciate your feedback on Apple Podcast, or just via email to firstname.lastname@example.org - feel free to DM us on Twitter too!
- (00:00) Intro
- (01:10) Cruise’s Robot Car Outages Are Jamming Up San Francisco
- (05:00) Japan's forestry industry tests robots to address labor shortage
- (07:12) FIFA will track players’ bodies using AI to make offside calls at 2022 World Cup
- (08:30) Words matter: AI can predict salaries based on the text of online job postings
- (09:12) Photographer Successfully Uses Dall-E 2 AI to Edit his Photos
- (09:10) Google engineer identifies anonymous faces in WWII photos with AI facial recognition
- (10:00)Google AI Introduces Minerva: A Natural Language Processing (NLP) Model That Solves Mathematical Questions
- (13:16) A year in the making, BigScience’s AI language model is finally available
- (15:55) Meta open sources early-stage AI translation tool that works across 200 languages
- (16:18) Computer scientists' interactive program aids motion planning for environments with obstacles
- (16:48)Microsoft AI Researchers Open-Source ‘GODEL’: A Large Scale Pre-Trained Language Model For Dialog
- (17:35) Fake Friends and the Real Threat of AI-Generated Influencers
- (22:05) The Fight Over Which Uses of AI Europe Should Outlaw
- (25:10) Waymo, UPS, others pressure Gov. Newsom to allow autonomous trucking in California
- (26:10) More and more CS students are interested in AI – and there aren't enough lecturers
- (27:03) US safety regulators open special investigation into Cruise AV crash
- (27:46) People who regularly talk to AI chatbots often start to believe they're sentient, says CEO
- (29:10) Experiments & Explorations: Robots as Musical Instruments
- (31:17) Cute desktop robot designed to keep armchair engineers engaged
- (33:33) Outro
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.